The Universal Autograph Collector’s Club has had it’s share of problems in the past. Many believe it was brought upon itself. The downfall of this group is quite evident if not from the massive drop in membership alone.

Some feel the downfall of this club started with a letter from the club’s accountant directed to the club.

At one time the club did publish the yearly report from the accountant. The letter below ended that.

This was the last time the club published the accountants review of the club’s finances. An officer of the club will tell you that current reports are available by request. As a Director of the club, for a few years, I tried several times to get the accountant’s report and was refused.

Reread the third paragraph of the letter once again. It speaks volumes!

You need to be a member of Autograph Planet to add comments!

Join Autograph Planet

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think I paid by check. This was a long, long time ago. I was a member for several months and it just wasn't worth the fight over a few dollars. I was already spending way more time than should have been necessary to obtain refunds. In three instances, it took 8-10 months. I did get a couple of issues of The Pen & Quill, a complete waste of ink and trees. Ads for dubious dealers, photos of award presenters and recipients, board member interviews with other board members. That's about it.

I don't believe that the UACC states one way or another 'satisfaction guaranteed', but, even if they did, they would not honor it any more than they do their autographs. I cut my losses and vowed that I would illustrate my problems and experiences with them and their dealers every chance I had. And, unlike them, I'm a man of my word.

• Seattle Signings, if you paid by Credit Card, why not do a charge back, or with a bank check, you can dispute the check.  Unless they state somewhere on the website, then you would be owed any money back.  If you look at it as a whole, what did you get for the money you paid?  NOTHING.  So why not get a full refund.  Paid for something that was not delivered.

• I'm shocked this group did not want you to reimburse them the postage for sending the letter.  I knew Wertman, a wimp who followed directions.   

• This was my response from the UACC following my request for a refund of unused dues due to my complete dissatisfaction with the club's total failure to honor their own Code of Ethics and hold member dealers accountable for honoring their guarantees. The UACC's ethics is as lacking as their member dealers knowledge of autographs.

• Well I can say this.  If I was a part of this group.  Let say, and a RD.  I bound by these rules.  Then I hear that another RD, is allowed to do whatever they want, they don't have to follow the rules, they don't have to honor this and that, while I and the rest do.  It would be a little unnerving to say the least. (if this indeed going on)

You can't turn a blind eye and let one set of people just do whatever they want, while holding everybody else to a separate set of standards, rules and ethics.

How can everybody get a fair shake, when half of the board works for them?

To me, the best thing to do, is disband it, and then reform, allowing everybody back in, vote, etc..etc.  Seems like a lot of personal BS got in the way of the club, and that's a shame.

Did it all start when Steve Cyrkin strong-armed them by resigning and asking others to do the same when Jerry Gladstone was approved a few years ago?  Isn't that when a lot of this started?

Seems like there was a huge story about it on a website, and that's when a lot of this stuff started to unravel.  How does a man running a failing magazine, one that does not even exist anymore, get to have ANY say in what goes on in the club?  More questions he will be asked about I guess.

• It sure seems the UACC is just a dues collecting club with nothing much to offer.  Get screwed by anyone of the favored members and see how far your filing ethics charges goes.  I know of cases they were not even acknowledged.  When a new person joins and experiences what you have, and wants out after a few weeks, this group states your membership fees are not refunded, even a percentage of it.  Take the money and run, it's become a poorly run BUSINESS.  Shame on those who support this group and keep it on life support. 

• DB, there are many people who have a lot of negative things to say about their experience with the UACC. This is all under the presidency of Michael Hecht.  Many are shocked regarding the  improprities  within this group with Hecht looking the other way.  Many believe the way this group has acted since the early 90's has given our hobby at a minimum a black eye. Much more is to be said about this group. I forsee many collectors coming forward with their personal horror stories.  There is much talk about a boycott against UACC sellers of autographs.  RD#'s appear to be the hobby's red fllag!

• if you go here UACC 990 2001 - 2013 you can see all the financial reporting as well as the revenue declines in the latter years.  If nothing else, it would appear the UACC is on life support at the moment.  The items cited as accomplishments in 2001 have seem to have taken a back seat except maybe for the pen & quill.

I was once a member and signed up when Zarelli put out a major push with the added incentive a signed check provided by Reznikoff to the first 50.  I thought, why not.  I received one pen & quill and nothing else.  When I inquired what my membership number was they couldn't produce one.  When I tangled with "uncle Al" over some claims made of a UACC RD by St. Joan of Cyrkin it was met with threats and no action rather than confirm, clarify or refute accusations.  

Essentially, as a member I found them useless while failing to provide the basics for which they were paid a membership fee.

• Thomas, there have been calls in the past before this new disaster for Michael Hecht to resign. 

This very serious shill bidding is under investigation and several UACC members "in good standing" are listed in the investigation.  The UACC may want to amend some of their ethics rules to protect the club members.

• DB, excellent detective work! Financial records seem to have a lot of holes.  This and so much more has been going on for years under the presidency of Michael Hecht. 

This reply was deleted.