Herman Darvick, member of the U.A.C.C. offers a

$1,000 cash reward if someone can prove he is a forger of Autographs.

Stephen Koschal of Colorado Springs claims the $1,000 cash reward.  Stephen Koschal states when he collects the $1,000 cash reward from Herman Darvick that he will write a check for $1,000 and donate the money to either the Wounded Warriors Project or the IFCJ: The Fellowship to help Poor Jews in Israel, founded by Rabbi Eckstien. The choice of charity can be made by Herman Darvick.

Herman Darvick states in writing: "I never forged an autograph in my life.”

Herman Darvick, known forger of autographs, thief and liar in writing has offered a $1,000 cash reward if someone can prove he is a forger.  Most anyone who knows Herman Darvick most likely has had a problem with him over the years.  He is well known for taking exorbitant amounts of time to pay consignors, in some cases years. He is also known for not returning unsold items to consignors.  For his actions he was expelled from the U.A.C.C.  club he was once its president.

A forger is a person who commits the crime of forging by making a false signature. One who commits forgery is a person who falsifies.

A forgery is a fraudulent copy.

A spurious thing.

To give form or shape to especially by means of careful effort.

During the early 1980’s while Darvick was President of the U.A.C.C. and I was voted by the membership to be one of their Directors, Herman Darvick would forge autographs of the Presidents of the United States from memory in front of me. He was so proud and would brag of how he thought they were so good. He signed the signatures of three presidents in front of me while sitting at a table at a New York U.A.C.C. show.  Darvick said to my face he would write something very special for me. He continued: “If I ever needed money I could possibly get $100,000 to a quarter million dollars for it. During those early years what could possibly bring that kind of money in the autograph hobby? 

With a smirk on his face, usually the type seen on the face of a con-man he started to write on the slips of paper he carried with him. He covered the slip with his hand so I was not to see what he was writing.

He handed me the following slip and said to keep it as a special gift from him.  Below is a copy of the original Herman Darvick forgery.

My comment to Herman was that I thought the signature of Johnson was a little off. He stated this is being written from memory and if I do this at home, at my desk, it will look better.  He then stated I’ll send you another much better when I get home.

Somewhat shocked, I asked Herman to sign a few other signatures of Presidents of the United States.

He pulled out a few more slips and wrote a four word sentiment signed by Richard Nixon and on another slip a Gerald R. Ford signature.  I still have these originals.  See below copies of Darvick’s forgeries of Richard Nixon and Gerald R. Ford.

I contacted a few well known  autograph dealers who attended these events and I got a response from a very well known autograph dealer based in the Carolinas who prefers to remain anonymous.  He sent me a Jimmy Carter signature on the very same type paper stating Darvick did this for him. See below.

Not long after the show I received what appears to be a genuine The White House card from Herman Darvick. Indeed what he sent was a much better forgery of the same type wording with a better signature of Lyndon B. Johnson.  See below.

A few years later Darvick was creating havoc in the autograph industry. He sold many autographs in his auctions that were not genuine. He even made claims that some of the bad items he never sold.  A dealer now is sitting with a photo of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig fishing that bears two spurious autographs. It also comes with a Herman Darvick COA. Darvick claims to all that his COA”s of 100% Guaranteed Genuine no longer apply. He is known as “The Father of the Bad COA.”

Darvick was called out and exposed as a forger of presidential autographs for a few years.  With all the pressure on Darvick referring to the known four forgeries produced by him and illustrated below, Darvick finally responded in writing in an email the following: “…LONGTIME REPUTABLE AUTOGRAPH DEALERS  CAN SHOW YOU HOW CERTAIN FAMOUS PEOPLE SIGNED THEIR NAMES. YES, I WOULD SHOW COLLECTORS AT UACC SHOWS HOW CERTAIN SIGNATURES LOOKED SUCH AS TRUMAN, EISENHOWER, KENNEDY, JOHNSON, FORD, CARTER AND REAGAN AND I PROBABLY DID SO IN FRONT OF STEPHEN KOSCHAL WHO WAS A UACC DIRECTOR FROM 1980-1984.  BUT I PROMPTLY TORE THEM IN PIECES BECAUSE AN UNSCRUPULOUS COLLECTOR MIGHT TRY TO SELL THEM. I AM 100% SURE THAT EVERYONE I SIGNED WAS DESTROYED WITHIN MOMENTS OF CREATION.”

The above are Darvick’s own words.  First, he obviously doesn’t remember admitting, in writing that he forged autographs. Second, he admits to forging how “certain people” signed, leading us to believe he forged more than just presidential signatures. Third, he is absent minded enough to admit he forged more than the four signatures of presidents we were aware. He admitted  that he  forged signatures of Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy and Reagan. And fourth he also admits to being a "liar" as he let people take the originals and he even mailed a better example of the Johnson after he got home. 

Keep in mind, for Darvick to be able to sit at a show with no exemplars  and then brag how good he is at creating forgeries. Then sign presidential autographs for collectors and dealers. How many times and how long did he have to practice these signatures at home. How many of them have turned up at auctions and elsewhere?  In the future we may write an article with items that sold in the industry that are contributed to forgeries created by Herman Darvick.

I, Stephen Koschal do swear that the above information is absolutley true.

$1,000 cash reward to be sent Certified or Registered mail within 10 days to:

Stephen Koschal

7155 Sand Crest View

Colorado Springs, CO 80923

You need to be a member of Autograph Planet to add comments!

Join Autograph Planet

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Where's the proof? I never forged an autograph. I never bragged that I created forgeries. Showing someone what an authentic signature looks like is not forgery. I am a lifetime member of the Universal Autograph Collectors Club. Stephen Koschal was even censured by the UACC and resigned as a Director: http://uacc.org/advisory.php

Read about Stephen Koschal when he lived in Florida: http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/brickell-resident-stephen-koschal...; Article even mentions a "2003 New Jersey restraining order his mother filed against him" concerning collectables.

UACC
This reply was deleted.